Environmental Impact Assessment Study procedure
The procedure for an Environmental Impact Assessment Study is an obligation stipulated in the Law on Environment (“Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia” No. 53/05, 81/05, 24/07, 159/08, 124/10, 51/11, 123/12, 51/13) which transposes the requirements of EU EIA Directive (85/337/EEC) and it stipulates the preparation of an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for certain projects defined in the “Decree for Determining Projects and Criteria for which EIA is Needed” (“Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia” No. 74/05, changes published in No. 164/12).
After the need for EIA is determined, the developer submits a Letter of Intent for implementing the project to the MOEPP. The EIA is carried out by authorized experts in accordance with a predetermined methodology, reporting structure and documents. During the procedure the public participation is obligatory.
EIA procedure in Republic of Macedonia
The process for developing an EIA Study consists of several steps, which are as follows:
- The developer submits a Letter of Intent to the MOEPP, stating his intent to implement the project and containing a request for determining the scope of the EIA;
- MOEPP sends the developer a Decision in which it establishes the need for EIA and it determines the scope of the assessment;
- The Environmental Impact Assessment is developed in agreement with the requirements of the Law on Environment;
- The sensitive elements in the environment are identified, as well as the positive and negative impacts which be caused during the implementation of the project, in all phases;
- The consultants develop a plan containing measures for preventing, reducing and mitigating the environmental impact and a
- Plan for environment monitoring which objective is to monitor the implementation of the proposed measures